Hello everyone,
I have so much to fill you in on. Especially since the last time I wrote was the 16th and if you have been reading actually all that I told you on the 16th happened on the 12th and 13th. With trying to do what you can when you get electric and when you can't, you do what what you can and quick. So I am looking at my journal and I will go by that to keep you totally up to date. I hope I don't confuse you. Sorry if I do.
On February 12th we were still without power. I helped Cindi grade papers for students that were learning excel in Computer School. Joy in the Harvest built a place where the Africans can learn computers and programs. When they were taught Excel while we were there it was free for these students. How cool is that? They also have been working on the well to get water. We were hoping that on this day they would get water, but we didn't. We were still praying. At 3:30 the ladies and I went to Claudia and Lowell's for Bible Study and we would stay there till 9:00. That way they didn't have to drop us off and pick us back up for dinner. Bible Study was very nice. Cindi's discussion was about ourselves, how are we doing? What are we doing for God. There were 5 key points she focused on. Worship, Fellowship, Becoming Like Jesus, Service, Missions/Evangelism, and Extravagant Generosity. I learned that I need to really focus on all of these. I don't do as well in any of them, but I hope to be better at it and I learn from all of it. So my question for you is; How do you fit in there? Have you accepted Jesus as your saviour? I know I have. :)
Then at 2:15pm we had power, so we rushed to the washing machine and put our Clothes in the washer. So then the power went out again. So we had our wet clothes in the washer. But, Praise God, the power kicked on again at 2:43pm. :) Since we had power I then did a draft on Steve and JoAnn's computer of what I wanted to write on our this blog and that is where you have the information for the 16th. If that makes sense. Have I lost you yet? LOL In a nut shell what I wanted to put on the computer on the 12th I wasn't able to do it till the 16th.
So on the 13th, we did a lot. I helped with matching shoes that were sent over from the States. They are from donations from other churches and other organizations. There were at least 20-30 boxes and garbage bags just filled with shoes. It was amazing. Then as I have told you on the 16th we went to the Gazebo for Friday people. Still a memory in my head that will stay with me forever. Just sad situations, but happy endings. I told you of some that impacted me while I was there. There is one that I wanted to mention and wasn't able to. There was this lady that needed to pay her rent, needed food, clothes, and wanted to get her daughter to school. Now since this has been a little while ago, I am trying to remember. What I do remember is that Lowell did help her with what she wanted but also asked her to find a job as well. She then asked if there was an opening. He said they needed some help with carrying water. She was all for it. She was told to come back on Monday and they would put her to work. So they talked with Matthew (Matao) who would hire the ladies for this and she showed up on Monday. So when we saw her she would smile at us. It was awesome!
February 14th, 2009 Happy Valentine's Day! I am sorry to report that they don't celebrate Valentine's Day here. I must say it did feel like another day too. But we still had fun. Lowell took us to some land that they bought where they are going to build the hospital. There is a lot of land and they also hope to build a supermarket close by as well. Then we went through a town called Igu Ngu and this is just like 2 miles away from where we are staying at. This town has a lot of crime in it. This is also where they built their church. They built the church there so they can make a difference in this town. For what they are doing and what they have done already for these people, they are making a difference. Then we left to go fishing and swimming. We didn't catch any fish but the water was 81-82 degrees and it was clear and clean and it was great. The scenery was beautiful and the stories Lowell told were so amazing. We all enjoyed Lowell's stories from his past and how he led the people from the Congo to the Lord. Just awesome.
February 15, 2009. Another awesome day. I will admit that, that morning I was getting home sick. I was missing my family and my dogs. I even called my Dad after we came back from Church. I was so glad to hear his voice and I know he was happy to hear mine too. It was awesome to see how they worshiped in Church. They were singing, dancing, and just having a good old time. I even learned a few dancing steps and they learned some from me. It was awesome. The Youth put on the service and all. They had lunch fixed for everyone after the service and we all just enjoyed the day. They had chicken, rice, beans, potatoes, bananas, pop, water, beef stew I believe, salad stuff, and peanuts. Claudia showed me how to eat peanuts with bananas. That was neat. All though you have more peanuts left then banana. Then the rest of the day we did nothing but relax.
February 16th, I felt that I didn't do a whole lot. Kevin told me at breakfast that we had a whole in our net. So between doing other things, I was fixing our net. It needed to be done especially before we went to bed. Still not sure how the whole got there but it is fixed now. Mwenga took us to the Livingston memorial. You know the famous "Dr. Livingston I presume" quote don't you? Well Ujji which is an hour away from Kigoma said those words here. So we learned more of this history of Dr. Livingston. The story was told by a little african man in english, well what you understood in english. Now if you asked him questions then he would start all over again. So you don't want to ask him questions. Just let him speak and laugh when he says "The British are Coming, The British are coming." He cracks up when you do that. After the history lesson we came back to our houses and then went to the feeding. Well the people that help out with the feeding were at Church on Sunday. So they all remembered me and they were dancing with me and it was just neat. I was getting hugs and claps and it was just so special. The kids were teaching us the sign language they were doing for some of their songs. It was cool. They were so cute and you just couldn't help but have a smile on your face. The gown ups were so appreciative for what we were doing and they thanked us all. Just an awesome feeling. Then we came back and Kevin, Cindi, and I worked on the shoes some more. Oh one of the other memorable moments for me here and on this day was this. I was asked to do a devotional. Each of us were doing one a day around lunch time. I have never done this before, but when I was asked to do it, I new what one I was going to do. I read Matthew Chapter 6:25-34 Do Not Worry. We worry so much about so many things and you take a look around you, and God has it under control. He will not let you down or leave you stray. There are no worries. Put your worries on God's shoulders and he will take care of it. So on this note, I am going to stop there and I will finish the rest of what we did tomorrow, I hope anyways. I think what I have written so far may take you sometime to read. I hope you enjoy. Until tomorrow. :) God Bless all of you.
Love,
Julie, Kevin, and the Mission Buddies.

No comments:
Post a Comment